Bourdais Wins Second Consecutive Firestone Grand Prix Of St. Petersburg

Power hadn't felt too sanguine about his chances either at the start of the final session and was surprised his best time held up as well as it did

But depending on the subject, he was both the hero and the villain.

IndyCar rookie Robert Wickens, who started on pole, led the race for 69 laps and had the win in his grip until contact with Alexander Rossi on a restart took him out of contention, Associated Press reports.

And now for the villainous viewpoint. He restarted the race 21st.

Honda swept the Top 5 positions in the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg. I tried my best not to hit him.

"It's just a great feeling to be able to, like I said, restart the season this way and make a statement really, because it was obviously not a given". That's why I didn't defend that hard. We know that we are.

"Yes, we're rookies in IndyCar. but (I've) also been racing for 12 years", King said. "Before, I had not raced him, but I know now". He saw how late I braked.

After all, at 38 years old then, he's been racing in open-wheel Indy cars for almost two decades.

Wickens said afterward he gave Power enough space "and it just didn't work out for him".

We were treated to an absolute spectacle in St Petersburg as the 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series burst into life and gave us 110 laps of pure adrenaline.

Sunday's win was anything but a given.

Will Power spun as he raced Wickens for the lead in the first turn of the first lap.

The Verizon IndyCar Series drivers and fans will now have some time to catch their breath before the next race. Rossi had been chasing down rookie Wickens for much of the race and finally got his chance on the 109th lap. Rossi dove inside of Wickens in the first turn with two laps remaining, Wickens defended his position and the two cars touched.

Spotify taps users to add music metadata with new feature
Music streaming company Spotify Technology S.A. has launched its service in Israel on Monday at a press conference in Tel Aviv. In the process of recommending, selecting and playing music, it accesses 5 petabytes of this data every single day.

But on the restart, Rossi attempted to put his #27 Andretti Autosport Honda inside of Wickens heading into Turn 1 at the end of the Albert Whitted Airport runway straight, but Rossi's vehicle slid wide and the two made contact. Wickens was only the third driver since 1993 to win the pole for his IndyCar debut - Nigel Mansell did it in 1993 at Surfers Paradise and Bourdais at St. Pete in 2003 - and the victory would have been a firm announcement of his arrival in the American open-wheel series.

And instead of a sure podium finish, Wickens was 18th and completely "disheartened".

Rossi said that he was told to use the push-to-pass as he was going through Turns 13 and 14 leading to the restart. I thought we would have had a good fight. If you want to go there, all the more power to you. But I think maybe Alex found the limit because as far as I'm aware, he's not getting a penalty for what he did, which is kind of interesting to me. He was sidelined past year after a devastating qualifying crash at Indianapolis kept him from racing for most of 2017. As the leader, I didn't have the opportunity to control the pace. I could build a gap when I needed to build a gap.

"We got lucky. Even if Sebastien had got a proper qualifying run in, we wouldn't have been at the front".

"So I got a big jump on Rob and he got to the push-to-pass pretty late, so the run was ideal for me". "The run was flawless for me going into turn 1, and I knew there wasn't going to be very many other opportunities. I can't quite put it into words".

Andretti looked great in this opening race, which is a relief for IndyCar fans after we watched them struggle so much with technical difficulties and bad breaks in the 2017 season.

"I think bumping is important to the 500 because it's always been such a big part of the 500, the story, how many people failed, how many people made it at the last second", Rahal said. They have made their way into IndyCar, and it's come at the expense of veterans.

At St. Pete, the winning driver came from Dale Coyne Racing.

"They made it very clear in the drivers' meeting that the rule on blocking was you can't move in reaction", Rossi explained.

"If he'd defended the inside initially out of 14 or even halfway down the straight, and I'd still continued to go to the inside, then yeah, that's my decision to put my auto in danger". "I've known him since he was a baby; his parents had me take a picture with him at the [Toronto] Molson Indy race when he was an infant, and then he was with my team where I won the [Champ Car] championship, Forsythe Racing, in Atlantics when he was 15 or 16, before he ventured off to Europe. I don't have to be all four wheels in the part of the track that nobody goes on".

"If you were in the lead of the race with two to go and you didn't finish, you'd be upset", Rossi said.

Related news:

Hot News

WWE Fastlane 2018 predictions, matches, how to watch, more
Mar 13, 2018 - 05:21
F-I-V-E superstars are challenging AJ Styles for the WWE Championship . -The WWE Cruiserweight Championship tournament finals. I think there should be some kind of an angle in the match between Shane and his partner of his choosing vs Owens and Zayn.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Anushka Sharma Virat Kohli new photo will send romantic waves
Mar 13, 2018 - 05:06
Besides Virushka , cricketer Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech's love pad is on the 29th floor of this upscale project. Virat and Anushka have always, on a regular basis, given major relationship and marital goals to everyone.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Goldman Sachs rips into Donald Trump's tariffs plan as opposition builds
Mar 13, 2018 - 05:03
He noted the example of BMW, which sells about 350,000 cars in the USA annually, roughly 70 percent of which come from Europe. Additionally, few Americans agreed with Trump that a trade war is "good, and easy to win".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Cleveland Browns Strikes Again: Browns Trade For Veteran Quarterback Tyrod Taylor
Mar 13, 2018 - 04:48
Sherman was due $13 million for the 2018 season and his release gives Seattle a salary cap savings of about $11 million. Thus, if the Cleveland Browns truly are looking to be a better franchise in 2018, they will make this move in April.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Firmino fearless about Liverpool's Champions League future
Mar 13, 2018 - 04:43
Pep Guardiola's Manchester City are also through but Tottenham are out after defeat to Italian champions Juventus on Wednesday. We don't ignore the goals we conceded, but if you ignore them for a second you would say, "OK, that's how you have to play".

Liverpool back where they belong says Klopp
Mar 13, 2018 - 04:42
Emre Can in action for Liverpool during their 2-0 win against Newcastle at Anfield. I don't think we have anything to fear from any side now.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Tiger Woods To Serve As Captain For Presidents Cup
Mar 13, 2018 - 04:19
One person with knowledge of the decision said Woods reached out to the PGA Tour about his interest in being the next captain. The Presidents Cup has not had a playing captain since Hale Irwin went 2-1 for the Americans in a 20-12 US victory in 1994.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Polls show close race in Pennsylvania congressional election
Mar 13, 2018 - 04:13
The poll was conducted on landlines and cell phones from March 8 to 11 with 503 registered voters in Pennsylvania's 18th District. He's also supported Trump's steel tariffs, muting what the President hoped would be a major selling point for Saccone .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Williams sisters win to set up clash at Indian Wells
Mar 13, 2018 - 03:47
Collins, ranked 116th and making her first appearance in the main draw, is just starting her second year on the WTA Tour. She won four of the final five games of the second set, breaking Cirstea three times to close it out.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Hong Kong pro-democracy camp suffers election setback
Mar 13, 2018 - 03:31
They were accused of failing to take an oath in a proper manner as members of the Legislative Council. The two remaining seats have yet to be filled.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Hardin County's State Senator Bill Dix resigns
Mar 13, 2018 - 03:01
Dix has recently gained notoriety after he fired a Senate Republican staffer after she complained of a toxic work environment. The website did not identify the woman shown in the video but described her "as a lobbyist for various municipality groups ".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Musical director James Levine fired by Met Opera for 'sexually abusive' conduct
Mar 13, 2018 - 03:00
The leading United States opera house had already suspended Levine in December after allegations first became public against him. Levine was music director at the Ravinia Festival in Highland Park, from 1973 to 1993.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Obasanjo visits Cemetery of 73 people killed by Herdsmen in Benue
Mar 13, 2018 - 02:35
He had earlier visited Taraba and Plateau states and expected to travel to Yobe, Zamfara and Rivers states, in the coming days. He denied insinuations that he overlooked the killings that happened in Benue, saying he is genuinely anxious over them.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Apple Allowing Companies To Create Lightning To 3.5mm Cables
Mar 13, 2018 - 02:13
Moreover, the MFi meaning has been changed from "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" to "Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod". This means users still have to fork out upwards of $25 to grab themselves a USB-C to lightning cable.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Nun fighting sale of convent to Katy Perry dies in court
Mar 13, 2018 - 01:57
However, the Archdiocese Of Los Angeles argues that only it has the authority to approve a sale, and it wants it to go to Perry. She is one of two Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary who objected to the sale of their former convent to Ms Perry in 2015.